Skip to main content
4030 Wake Forest Rd Suite 349, Raleigh, NC 27609 | (919) 400-4138

North Carolina Certificate of Authority Filing Service

North Carolina Foreign Corporation Registration

If you have a corporation headquartered in another state and want to do business in North Carolina, you will need a North Carolina Certificate of Authority. You can get one by registering as a foreign corporation with the North Carolina Secretary of State, Corporations Division. Once you have filed the application for certificate of authority to transact business, your North Carolina certificate of authority will be sent to you. A foreign North Carolina corporation should not be confused with an out-of-country corporation. Any corporation not actually formed (created) in North Carolina is considered to be a foreign corporation.

How Do I Get Started?

If you want to submit the paperwork yourself: sign up for our North Carolina registered agent service and a North Carolina foreign corporation registration form is already in your online account prefilled with our registered agent information. There are also some filing tips on how to submit your paperwork with the state. Your business needs to have a North Carolina registered agent anyway, so we try to make the process simple and easy for you, whether you want us to do the filing or you want to do it yourself.

If you don’t want to do the filing yourself, just click the “Add services” tab in your account to add our filing services. We charge $100 plus the North Carolina state filing fee to prepare and submit the foreign North Carolina corporation Certificate of Authority form to the North Carolina Secretary of State. We will also obtain the documents needed from your home state of incorporation. You can check the real time status of our work in progress in your account. After we complete your North Carolina foreign corporation registration, we upload the filing into your client account, email it to you, and mail you the original filed documents.